Thursday 20 February 2014

REVIEW~ Ruin by Rachel Van Dyken


Ruin
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Ratings: 4 Wonderful Stars
***Blurb***

I'm not your typical girl. I've been running away from the memories that haunt me for so long that depression has become my only comfort. I was content in the darkness...until Weston Michels offered to be my light.

I didn't know that time wasn't my ally -- that every second that ticked past was one step closer to the end of something that was beginning to mean the end of myself. He tried to warn me. He promised me all he was able to offer--each moment as it came--but it would never be enough.

Sometimes when you think it's the end, it's only the beginning. Wes thought he could save me, but in giving me everything, he ruined me. Because after one kiss, one touch, I couldn't--I wouldn't ever be the same.

And from that moment on, his heartbeat became my own



***My Review***

Let me start by saying that this was the first book I've read by Rachel Van Dyken and must say I'm hooked. I originally bought this book because of the reviews on Goodreads and was not disappointment in my choice. I started the book while at work and as soon as the tears started I had to stop. I stopped only because the last time I cried at work reading a book I became the topic of the office lol. This was truly a heartwarming, cute love story which I absolutely adored.

The Story began with Kiersten "Charlie" Rowe. An 18 year old freshman at college. Kiersten was running from her past and the memories of a tragedy.  Even though she tried to move on from what happened, she had a sense of guilt because of the tragedy and thus suffered from depression. She was always in the shadows until she met Wes.

Wes I couldn't do anything else but love him. He was hot, charming, funny and really enjoyed life to the fullest. A college RA he met Kiersten on her first day of orientation and he seemed to be stuck to her after that. Sounds great, doesn't it? Except he threaten to break our hearts with the secrets he was keeping and demons he faced. West might appear to have everything; Money, Fame as a football player and his family was rich but he wished for something that others took for granted "a good heart".

The story was told in an alternating POV which I loved because it gives you a great insight into both characters. The journey in following both Wes and Kiersten was an uphill battle but well worth all the emotions attached.
Did I mentioned how much I loved WES?
This is why I loved Weston:
"I'm going to taste you like you deserved to be tasted"

   "I'm going to make it so hard for you to forget this first kiss that you don't want anyone else kissing you ever again. When the guy you fall in love with kisses you-it better put this kiss to shame-if it doesn't then the isn't the right guy"

 If you haven't read it yet I want you to one-click now. It's a wonderful love story about overcoming tragedy, finding strength to overcome darkness and believing. The secondary characters will have you laughing so hard.
I wished the story was a little longer but I wish every story was longer.


***More of my favourite quotes***

"Stay," he whispered in a hoarse voice. 
"Stay with me."
"In your room?"
"No. On the roof." He chuckled in my ear. 
"Yes, in my room.  What if I promise not to touch you?"
" I turned around to send him one last seething glare and ran smack dab into a tree.
Or at least it felt like a tree"

Purchase links:
Amazon.com
Kobo.com
Barnes and Nobles

No comments:

Post a Comment