I've seen many bloggers have their reviews deleted and even banned on Amazon lately and this had me curious.
Was I next?
Honestly, Amazon is like the weather, you never know what to get with them. I have never read their review guidelines until today and it had me 'hmmmm-ing' a lot. I did learned a few things I didn't know before and I have highlighted a few.
Check out the guidelines below, I have also included the direct link at the end of the post.
Customer Review Creation Guidelines
Guidelines for Amazon.com Community participation
WHO MAY WRITE A REVIEW?To write a Customer Review, you must have used your account to purchase any item or service on Amazon (free digital content doesn’t qualify toward this requirement). We do not permit reviews of the same product from customers in the same household.
HOW CAN I WRITE A GREAT REVIEW?
- Include the "why": The best reviews include not only whether you liked or disliked a product or service, but also why. Feel free to make comparisons with related products or services you’ve experienced.
- Be specific: Your review should be relevant to the product or service you’re reviewing and focus on specific features or your experience. For video and image reviews, we recommend that you write a brief introduction.
- Not too short, not too long: Written reviews should be at least 20 words and are limited to 5,000 words. The ideal length is 75 to 500 words. Video reviews have a 10-minute limit, but we recommend 2 to 5 minutes to keep your audience engaged.
- Be sincere: We welcome your honest opinion about the product or service. We do not remove reviews because they are critical. We believe all helpful information can inform our customers’ buying decisions.
WHY WAS MY REVIEW REJECTED OR REMOVED?If your review does not comply with these guidelines, it may be rejected or removed.
We are unable to accept the following feedback:
- Seller & Shipping Experience – Feedback about the seller, your shipment experience, or packaging is not a product review and should be shared at www.amazon.com/feedback or www.amazon.com/packaging.
- Product Availability & Feedback – Comments about product availability or alternate ordering options are not about the product and should be shared by contacting us.
- Inappropriate Content – Reviews may not contain obscenities, profanity, phone numbers, mailing addresses, non-Amazon URLs, videos with watermarks , foreign language content (unless there is a clear connection to the product), or other people’s material (including excessive quoting).<<<< Good to know
- Hate Speech & Offensive Content – We don't allow reviews that express intolerance for people belonging to identity groups including race, gender, religion, sexual preference, or nationality. Customers are allowed to comment on products and question the expertise of authors, sellers, or other customers as long as it is in a non-threatening manner.
- Promotion of Illegal Conduct – Reviews may not encourage or support behavior that is illegal, including violence, illegal drug use, underage drinking, and child or animal abuse.<<<<<<<< WTH, so if I like a book that includes violence, does this mean that I support it??
- Promotional Reviews – In order to preserve the integrity of Customer Reviews, we do not permit artists, authors, developers, manufacturers, publishers, sellers or vendors to write Customer Reviews for their own products or services, to post negative reviews on competing products or services, or to vote on the helpfulness of reviews. For the same reason, family members or close friends of the person, group, or company selling on Amazon may not write Customer Reviews for those particular items.
Paid Reviews – We do not
permit reviews or votes on the helpfulness of reviews that are posted in
exchange for compensation of any kind, including payment (whether in
the form of money or gift certificates), bonus content, entry to a
contest or sweepstakes, discounts on future purchases, extra product, or
other gifts. The sole exception to this rule is when a free or
discounted copy of a physical product is provided to a customer up
front. In this case, if you offer a free or discounted product in
exchange for a review, you must clearly state that you welcome both
positive and negative feedback. If you receive a free or discounted
product in exchange for your review, you must clearly and conspicuously
disclose that fact. Reviews from the Amazon Vine program are already labeled, so additional disclosure is not necessary. Read more about promotional content.
REPORTING VIOLATIONS & PRODUCT SAFETYIf you believe a review violates our guidelines, please let us know. Below each review, you’ll find a question that asks, "Was this review helpful to you?" If you answer "no," you can let us know why the review is inappropriate. We'll examine the review and take the appropriate action.
If you have safety concerns about the product you are reviewing please report this information to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) or contact us directly. Please make sure to include all information about the product (product title, and ASIN or manufacturer's SKU) and the details of the incident.